Monday, November 3, 2008

Daniel's General Election Predictions

For the first time since my wife started this blog I am going to post on here. Every general election I enjoy giving my predictions as to what will happen. I do not pretend to be a "political expert" nor would I ever claim to know for certain what the outcome will be as some pundits would. However, for the last year I have carefully researched the polls and trends of each state. In 2004 I achieved something that I will probably never match; in predicted all 50 states correctly.

My predictions are based upon the following information: Recent poll data, individual poll accuracy in past elections, state election trends, momentum trends, early voting, and even the weather outlook for Tuesday. I will state the candidate that I believe will win the given state followed by a confidence percentage. This is not the margin of victory, but merely states my prediction for how close a state will be. For example: I believe Obama will win Wisconsin with 85% confidence. This means that I think there is a 85% chance that Obama wins the state and DOES NOT mean that I think Obama will win 85% of the vote.

STATE(E.V.) -- Winning Candidate -- Confidence %
Alabama (9) **McCain** 100%
Alaska (3) **McCain** 100%
Arizona (10) **McCain** 75%
Arkansas (6) **McCain** 85%

California (55) **Obama** 95%
Colorado (9) **Obama** 65%
Connecticut (7) **Obama** 100%
Delaware (3) **Obama** 100%
Dis. of Col. (3) **Obama** 100%

Florida (27) **McCain** 55%
Georgia (15) **McCain** 75%

Hawaii (4) **Obama** 95%
Idaho (4) **McCain** 100%
Illinois (21) **Obama** 100%
Indiana (11) **McCain** 75%
Iowa (7) **Obama** 85%
Kansas (6) **McCain** 100%
Kentucky (8) **McCain** 95%
Louisiana (9) **McCain** 95%

Maine (4^) **Obama** 3-100%; 1-75%
Maryland (10) **Obama** 100%
Massachusetts (12) **Obama** 100%
Michigan (17) **Obama** 85%
Minnesota (10) **Obama** 80%

Mississippi (6) **McCain** 100%
Missouri (11) **McCain** 60%
Montana (3) **McCain** 70%
Nebraska (5^) **McCain** 4-100%; 1-80%
Nevada (5) **McCain** 70%
New Hampshire (4) **Obama** 75%
New Jersey (15) **Obama** 90%
New Mexico (5) **Obama** 80%
New York (31) **Obama** 100%

North Carolina (15) **McCain** 60%
North Dakota (3) **McCain** 65%

Ohio (20) **Obama** 55%
Oklahoma (7) **McCain** 100%
Oregon (7) **Obama** 95%
Pennsylvania (21) **Obama** 70%
Rhode Island (4) **Obama** 100%

South Carolina (8) **McCain** 95%
South Dakota (3) **McCain** 95%
Tennessee (11) **McCain** 100%
Texas (34) **McCain** 100%
Utah (5) **McCain** 100%

Vermont (3) **Obama** 100%
Virginia (13) **Obama** 65%
Washington (11) **Obama** 95%

West Virginia (5) **McCain** 90%
Wisconsin (10) **Obama** 85%
Wyoming (3) **McCain** 100%
^-Denotes that the state awards their votes proportionally; therefore the confidence margin is broken up.

Electoral Projection: Obama-311 and McCain-227
Confidence margin for Obama victory: 85%

States that may be closer then polling data: Georgia, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Iowa.

Key States that may require recounts: Ohio, Missouri, and North Carolina

Path to McCain victory:
1.) Winning the following states that I have him losing: Ohio, Virginia, Nevada, and Colorado (McCain would end with 274 E.V.)
2.) Winning the following states that I have him losing: Pennsylvania, Ohio, and one other state that he is projected to lose.
3.) Winning the following states that I have him losing: Ohio, Virginia, Colorado, and gain 1 electoral vote from Maine. (McCain would end with 270 E.V.)

SENATE Predictions:
Democrats gain 7 seats which includes: Virginia-100%, New Mexico-100%, Colorado-100, Alaska-90%, New Hampshire-85%, Oregon-80%, and North Carolina-60%
Republicans gain 0 seats
Other races that could be close: Minnesota and Georgia (both are republican seats right now.)
PROJECTED BREAK DOWN: Democrats-56, Republicans-42, and Independents-2 (Please note: Both independents currently caucus with the democrats.)

As a McCain supporter I am not giving predictions based upon what I want to see, but what I honestly foresee happening based upon many factors.

I welcome all appropriate and constructive comments. Anybody between now and 6 PM tomorrow night that responds with a correct prediction for the final electoral vote count will receive a small reward. (Example: Obama-311; McCain-227) Your name must be included when responding. If you would like more information on how I came to a conclusion or my methods employed please email me at: drch7087@yahoo.com

Thank you,
Daniel Hellmann

2 comments:

Sharen said...

Wow, that took a lot of time to do all that. I just hope your wrong! Sorry, but I'll still say McCain/Palin until proven wrong,LOL,without all that figuring.

Daniel and Regina said...

Solomon S. commented with a prediction that Obama would win 290-248 and that McCain would win Pennslyvania. Unfortunately his post never showed up. (Solomon S. if you would like to try again, please do. I'm sorry this happened and have no clue what happened.)