Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Daniel's Post Election Thoughts

My mind has been inundated with many thoughts following last night's historic election that was capped with disappointment by Conservatives. In the exception of Indiana there was no big surprises for me and depending upon the outcome of Missouri and North Carolina I missed in my predictions for two states thus far. However, the purpose of this post is not to cause our minds to linger upon the results, but to ask what our response will be to the results. As Christians we have a choice as to how we will look back upon this election and what our verbal, emotional, and spiritual response will be in the days and weeks to come.

Sometimes in the aftermath of a discouraging election we forget some very important facts as Christians. God is not surprised, intimidated, overwhelmed, or lessened in power as a result of this election! Not only is He still the King of Kings, but His name never appeared on any ballot last night.

Does an Obama administration really change anything in our hearts? Does his presidency mean that our soul can no longer will be filled with happiness and praise? Is the source for our happiness found in a political party or a God that is mightier and stronger then any country's political system? The answer to this last question will determine our response to the previous questions. My firm belief is that as Christians we cannot afford to go into retreat mode based upon the results of any political election.

In times like this we hear a lot of responses and questions that enquire into the nature of God's Divine will. However, I really believe these responses miss a greater point. We do not have to ask ourselves whether or not an Obama administration is God's will, but we do have to accept the fact that God has allowed his presidency. This does not mean that we must sit back and allow what we believe to be wrong to become right. The question is how do we as Christians stand up for what is right? Rather then contending a presidency let us stand up against the policies which are presented that we find immoral or unBiblical.

God has been so merciful to us as a nation that it would be easy to start taking advantage of God and to assume that God has to bless us or help us flourish. The truth is that if God was to never show mercy to this nation again we would still be forever indebted to Him!

In the event that I have caused confusion or dismay in anything that I have written let me try and sum it up this way. While I am greatly disappointed in the outcome of last night's election and believe that this country is going down the wrong path I do not believe that it is God's will for our hearts to be filled with fear or dismay. II Timothy 1:7 reads, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." This post was not meant to be sermon but a chance for me to share my thoughts and concerns at this crucial time. As always I welcome any questions or thoughts you may have.

In His Service,
Daniel Hellmann

4 comments:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Great post Daniel! You and your brother certainly couldn't be more opposite. LOL I used to think my sister and I were as opposite as we could get but then I met you and Tim. Wow. You 2 put new meaning to the term "sibling rivalry". LOL Your family gatherings must be quite interesting!!

Julie

Kuhn Family Journals said...

Thanks for that bit of encouragement! A lot of my response has been questions and fear but certainly God does not want us to fear but to look forward to the future and what He is going to do! Yes I'm still a bit scared but I know God is bigger than all my fears and my nervousness! God is still on the throne.

Also thanks for those 10 promises that you gave your church they really helped me! After it was all said and done last night I ended up singing hymns to myself in order to fall asleep! I've been a nervous wreck through these past few weeks and stressed! Thanks again for the encouragement I believe God used that for His glory and to help me!

Anonymous said...

Daniel: Great job. You give a alot to think about. It reminds me of the song we sing at church, 'God's got everything under control'. Mom

Caroline said...

Dan, as I told my Dan: God is in control. As scary as the future seems, He knows what is waiting there for us. Perhaps (?) God decided to take his hands off and tell our wonderful country, okay, if that's what you want, you can have it. Hasn't history proven that?
I enjoyed reading your predictions.
Best to you two!